Flag of the Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic
From Kazakhstan Encyclopedia
The flag of the Kazakh Soviet Socialist Republic was adopted by the Kazakh government on 24 January 1953. This flag resembles the flag of the Soviet Union in a defaced form but with the three horizontal stripes consisted of the 2/9 (two-ninths) of the blue (azure) bar in lower part of flag and the hammer and sickle in the near centre.
Between 1937 and the adoption of the above flag in 1940, the flag was red with a gold hammer and sickle in the top-left corner, with the Latin characters QAZAQ SSR and the Cyrillic characters КАЗАХСКАЯ ССР (KAZAKHSKAYA SSR) in gold in a sans-serif font beneath the hammer and sickle.
The second flag was red with the gold hammer and sickle in the top-left corner, with the Cyrillic characters Казак ССР (Kazak SSR) and Казахская ССР (Kazakhskaya SSR) in gold to the right of the hammer and sickle was adopted on 10 November 1940 which adopted a law on the transfer of Kazakh writing in Russian alphabet charts, modified accordingly and the inscription on the emblem.
On 24 January 1953, the new flag of the Kazakh SSR was approved by the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the Kazakh SSR. It was the flag of the Soviet Union; with the blue horizontal stripe at the bottom of the cloth. The width of the blue band is equal to 2/9 of the flag width, and the distance to it from the lower edge of the flag, 1/9 of the flag's width.
The regulations of the state flag of the Kazakh SSR was approved on 28 August 1981. It specified the proportions of the hammer and sickle and red star: the hammer and sickle are within a square side of the flag's width to 1/4 the length of the hammer handle - 3/4 of the diagonal of the square, the star fits into the diameter of a circle 1/8 of the flag width, distance of the vertical axis stars from the flagpole - 1/4 of the flag's width, the distance from the top edge to the center of the star - 1/8 of the flag's width.
The flag remained in use as the first flag of Kazakhstan until the new one was adopted on 4 June 1992.